Saturday, January 7, 2012

A different kind of "about my daughter"

I have observed in myself that when speaking about my daughter,I tend to quantify large bits of her life with medical terminology.Procedures, surgeries, blood draws, lab results , endless IV's , tubes and wires.

So today,I have decided to express here that she was SO much more than this by making an entry with (most) of the medical jargon unattatched.

Adria was completely bald when she was born.I remember thinking "I wonder when her brown hair will start growing".I never really thought she'd have any other hair color.When she was maybe a week old,I remember telling my husband she had red eyebrows.He thought I was crazy and didn't really see it.By the time she was maybe 2 months old,she had a pretty good amount of dark strawberry blonde hair.When I think about her hair color,it makes me happy and sad at the same time.It was breathtaking.It makes me sad that it was probably a one time deal,since red hair is a reccessive trait.If we were to have another child with the same haircolor,I would definitely feel like it's a way that she's saying hello to us.

Her personality and perservereance for someone so sick amazed me on a daily basis.She knew her nurses very well and was very aware of what went on in her room.She didn't like new or unfamiliar nurses,and they would get what everyone fondly called the "stink eye".She was very popular on the unit;everyone knew her since she was there for so long.The nurses and doctors liked to "chat" with her when she would sit up in her bumbo chair(and subsequently fall asleep in it).She was so strong and stubborn.Once she discovered her hands,I can't even count how many times she tried to rip out her n-g (nasogastric) tube.I would redirect her and every time she'd go back to the damn tube.I would also like to clarify that although she was sick;she was also happy.She did not spend her entire life miserable or in pain.We had happy times and smiles along with the days of utter hell.

Adria was truly a one of a kind.That is one place where her medical isses and personality come together.Many of the issues she faced were anomalies-they had been seen never or rarely by doctors at one of the top hospitals in the country.
I am overwhlemed at the amount of love and personality and beauty that could be held in such a small person.She was magnetic to those around her.I miss her so much.

2 comments:

  1. I love to hear you tell us about these little details. I wish I had the opportunity to meet her in person, but since I didn't I look forward to your antidotes, descriptions and fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing these thoughts with us...and for sharing Adria.

    ReplyDelete